I said yesterday that Negotiations begin with dating. What if you’re beyond that stage, are already in a relationship but haven’t set down ground rules. Where do you take it from there? Well you can still save your relationship through negotiation as illustrated in This excellent article by Zahava Starak.
The steps she outlined were
- Determine the outcome of your negotiation
- Establish communication guidelines
- Each one objectively describes the situation
- Communicate how important the subject is to you (feelings)
- You will both probably have to compromise a bit – it may be an agreement to respect and accept each other’s differences; or it may be a tit for tat response in which you do something for me and I do something for you.What is important is that both partners feel that they have been heard, their interests and desires considered and an acceptable solution has been found.